Serves about 7 and 3/4.
Things You’re Gonna Need:
2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil
1 sweeeeet onion, chopped up
2 jalapeño peppers, deseeded and diced… for giggle, rub your eyes while doing this
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. of ground cumin
Some salt and some pepper
6 cups of broth, preferably chicken
4 corn tortillas, cut into little strips
1/4 cup fresh parsley… some folks use cilantro but I hate that stuff. Yuck.
1 roasted chicken from the supermarket, shred off about a pound of meat
1 cup of grits made in advance or 1/4 cup of uncooked (add 20 minutes to cooking time below)
Whatcha Gotta Do:
- Get a big pot and heat the two Tbsp of oil.
- Add in the onion, the jalapeños, the cumin, and the garlic. Season it with the pepper and the salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour in the broth and those tortilla strips, bringing to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and pour it all in a blender (or use a stick blender one if you are all fancy-schmancy). Blend it all up, mama.
- Take your soup goop and add the chicken and grits. Heat on low for about 5 minutes. (Longer if you are using dry grits…about 20 min… maybe even add a quick boil.)
- Put it in bowls. Dollop on some sour cream and add chips.